Saturday, April 17, 2010

Time to Reflect: Step 61


Everyone knows you do your best work when you get to that place where you feel great, your mind is clear and your spirit soars. The problem arises in when we take account of how often this happens in our life. For the last few days I’ve dealt with health issues related to an accumulation of certain elements in the atmosphere that despite California being a year round home to numerous forms of plant life becomes even more bountiful in the Spring. So, regardless of the antihistamine resistant drip permeating my throat and lodging in my chest the splendor of the season is a most welcome silver lining. It provides the smiling inspiration for so many of life’s endeavors. In his 1906 play, Doctor’s Dilemma, the brilliant George Bernard Shaw wrote, “Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh.” As those readers who read my story yesterday discovered my life was touched by death at a young impressionable age. In looking back over the tragic end of a young friend and the many deaths we all face none of which come at a time we chose it would be easy to turn dark and sinister. Unfortunately, a few do. Most of us, however, recognize the resilient nature planted in our souls allowing us to look back with appreciation for time shared and to look forward to those hilarious moments that split our sides, warm our cheeks, and bring tears to our eyes. Similarly, when we face the day-to-day battles of itchy eyes, runny noses, sore throats, joint aches, headaches, stomachaches, and other symptoms of physical and mental distress we persevere. Last night, unable to remain asleep lying flat in my bed I went out to the family room to attempt some more restful slumber sitting in a recliner. On my way I stopped in the bathroom, turned on the light, saw the reflection of a wild haired lunatic staring back at me and laughed out loud. Fortunately, I caught myself and stifled it before I woke up my wife who is a light sleeper. Recently, a friend, one of the Mikes who play volleyball on Sundays, went through a harrowing experience during several hospital procedures to diagnose a rare blood disorder. Being the kind of person who recognizes how funny life is even during tragic moments, he couldn’t help laughing and finding humor explaining how he was talking to the nurse about Colorado when he started seeing oceans, mountains and clouds form around her just before he flat lined. My friends and I are thankful the nurse, who may not have seen the humor in it at the moment, was, along with her colleagues, able to revive Mike. Jack Lemmon, whose performances in The Apartment, The Odd Couple, and Tuesdays with Morrie evoked a wide range of emotions from his audience, said great comedy makes us laugh and cry, and the same can be said for great drama. After a long winter it is important to welcome Spring even if some elements of it cause discomfort. Not feeling well often makes me want to pity myself and take life too seriously, but seeing my reflection made me realize I should be grateful I can still haul myself out of my bed and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment