Saturday, May 1, 2010

Time to Reflect: Step 75


For this week’s quote I turn again to the great Irish writer George Bernard Shaw, who said, “The man who writes about himself and his own time is the only man who writes about all people and all time.” Over the past seventy-five days I have attempted to tell my own story, to offer a weekly reflection of my current thoughts, and a weekly commentary on current events from my unique vantage point. If Mr. Shaw is correct my story written about the times in which I have lived should be representative of all people and all times. While having such universal appeal satisfies me as a writer, my purpose as a blogger has been to provide a forum. When I began this journey at the start of my sixtieth year of life my intention was to offer a daily post for people traveling the blogosphere to use in their everyday lives. Since one of the features of a blog is the opportunity to respond to the author, or put another way interact with the blogger, my hope was to inspire numerous comments. Extremely appreciative of those who have commented, especially comments coming from individuals I did not know before starting this blog, and recognizing this journey is an evolving process my expectations remain strong for making this a place where everyone will feel free to contribute. Maybe what is needed is a simpler response form such as the “like” response given to Facebook visitors. Certainly it is easy to understand how someone may wish only to make a short stop to read and carry away what she needs without feeling compelled to respond. In our fast paced world where the average time on message is measured in seconds rather than minutes or hours a passing glance is preferable to no glance at all. My desire to have those who come along step when they need to stride or wing their way through the journey is most likely some insecurity I have regarding the quality of my artistry. During the past week there have been several opportunities to consult with colleagues and collaborators concerning the potential Every Step of the Way has to serve a community and become an emerging enterprise. Although the idea of having followers become paid subscribers, similar to online newspapers and magazines, is one that holds no appeal, finding businesses that provide products and services visitors to a blog desire has been shown to generate substantial advertising revenues elsewhere. Questions arose regarding what were the demographics of the market in which my blog fit. Methods for stimulating expansion of those finding and using the blog as a forum were explored. Areas such as market segmentation, current trends, and effective means of social networking have become research projects. Questions also arose as to whether the blog might be split into more than one format and whether more visuals and video may be included as it evolves. In taking a closer look at who I am as a writer, what I want to achieve as a blogger, and how I might better serve you the reader and blogosphere traveler, the possibilities for growth and development become limitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment