Saturday, February 20, 2010

Time to Reflect: Step Five


According to the way I was raised the final day of the week is known as Shabbat, or the Sabbath. Traditionally, it is when you are expected to refrain from your daily routine and reflect upon your life. Many use this time to pray or meditate. While others may have Sunday or Friday as their “day of rest,” in keeping with my established origins Saturday will be the day my reflections appear here. Now if you’re really serious about reflection, or you just want an excuse to avoid things, like working or studying, you may consider following an all-encompassing perspective and take the whole weekend from Friday through Sunday to reflect. Ralph Waldo Emerson, a master of early American literary thought stated, “This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” In our down economy one of the euphemisms regarding the problems faced by individuals looking for work is we are no longer unemployed, but in transition. So, what Ralph is suggesting to me is the transition from one place, which allowed me to contribute to their productive capacity in exchange for receiving monetary benefits to another place that will compensate me for services rendered, is a very good time. However, he throws in the caveat that stipulates we must know what to do with this time. In reflection it has been clear my idea of what to do with this time has been totally unclear. In the past, my resume, which took a lot of time to build, consisted of a complete list of my academic achievements followed by details of the experiences for which compensation was provided. However, upon further reflection, something many in transition can identify with, an abundance of degrees or experiences no longer means you are a desirable asset but have become “over qualified,” or simply too expensive. This week, the instructor for my Linked In seminar, pleased us with the story of how he weathered nearly a year in transition and over 40 interviews to find an exciting new position. Then, he tossed in the worthy footnote his compensation was 40% less than his last position. Yes, Mr. Emerson, this is a very good time, and I am sure it will only get better as I reflect upon what to do with it. Please feel free to offer your reflections and comments as you look back along every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment