Thursday, March 25, 2010

Johnny Walkers at Capitol Court: Step 38


In the late 1950s and early 1960s a new trend swept across the face of America impacting the next half-century of commerce. Prior to this time people would go to the local area store to make their usual purchases, and would travel downtown on Saturday, since stores weren’t open on Sunday, to make special purchases. At first a few stores, maybe a grocery, liquor, and what was commonly referred to as a “dime store,” would band together to form a small shopping center. Irwin Shaw chronicled this demographic trend in his novel, Rich Man Poor Man, which became one of the first and most successful miniseries on television. Eventually these shopping centers grew from a few stores into sprawling complexes of a hundred or more stores complete with their own movie theaters, food courts, and security centers. Most of these today are enclosed and referred to as malls. In Milwaukee when this trend began two shopping centers sprung up about the same time. One on the south side of the city appropriately named Southgate, and one on the north side of the city named Capitol Court presumably because it bordered Capitol Drive on one side. The appearance of Capitol Court shortened the trip from the house on Lancaster Avenue to premiere department stores such as Gimbels and J.C. Penneys which had been an hour-long roundtrip downtown to just a quarter of an hour. Special purchases could now be made during the week, and an even more compelling attraction these new venues featured free parking. Department stores are fine but held only minimal appeal for my friends and me. Where we wanted to go when we were at Capitol Court was Johnny Walkers. Two floors of outstanding men’s fashions that defined what the proper attire for those who stayed current, and thus important, significant, and popular would be for the coming season. I’m not certain how my parents knew Gary M’s dad. They probably went to school together at North Division High. All I knew was I was glad we had that connection because Mr. M. always knew exactly how to direct us to what we were looking to buy. The main level was racks of suits, sport coats, dress pants and shirts, and a section of shoes. Down on the lower level was where I was first introduced to Levis. Nowadays that name is associated with blue jeans, which at that time were not acceptable school clothing according to the district wide dress code. So, in 1963 when I mentioned buying Levis the person to whom I was speaking knew I was talking about “white levis.” Actually, they were more a pale sand or eggshell color than white. They cost $4.25 and I’m sure I cut quite a few lawns to buy my first pair. Over the next few years I would come to the lower level to find stretch levis at fifty cents more, madras shirts, Canaby Street stovepipe pants, and bell bottoms. Upstairs, I would find my first pair of “Beatle” boots, cardigan sport coat, ruffled shirt, paisley tie, and iridescent suit. My first exposure to what was often called sharkskin was when Mr. M. excused himself to finish helping one of the members of The Robbs. It may have even been Dee Robb, himself. Race With the Wind (www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lnjKtJmFO0) the song they featured in the Battle of the Bands was always one of my favorites. Through the years I would see Mr. M. advise the likes of Tony’s Tygers, The Skunks, The Legends, The Destinations and many other popular band members including my friend Stu who played with Latoska Lafont and the Dynamic Exploits. Comments and criticisms appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment