Saturday, March 27, 2010

Time to Reflect: Step 40


Last summer while waiting to attend a wedding in West Patterson, New Jersey my daughter and I visited the Yogi Berra museum. While I confess to holding some distaste for the Yankees who in my opinion have a lineup of overly compensated ball players, Yogi is the kind of guy I’d personally like to know. Not the flamboyant superstar, just a good solid clutch hitter, his quotes have become legendary. On this, major league baseball fantasy league draft day, I thought it apropos to quote him here. In his inimitable fashion he said, “Slump? I ain’t in no slump…I just ain’t hitting.” This relates closely to another assertion Yogi made where he observed that 90% of the game was mental, and only the other half was physical. If a person is busy worrying about how this equation does not add up he misses the point. When confronted with the circumstances I have found myself in over the past two years it’s easy to take the view that I am in a slump. My routine is irregular. Many nights sleep eludes my worn out body and mind. My exhaustive state limits my mental stamina, which in turn leads to mind games regarding my physical health. But just as Yogi started with a question it is important for me to question this view. Earlier this week a discussion centered on whether or not the recession has ended. According to a lot of statistics that I don’t understand the economy has turned the corner. At the same time I recall labeling the economy as suffering a recession months, if not a year, before the actual data proved the assertion correct. Does this have a bearing on how I, or anyone else views his circumstances? Again, turning to Mr. Berra and his ballpark wisdom, it’s important to see the situation for what it is. “I just ain’t hitting.” When one is in a slump every opportunity to stand in the batter’s box looks like another chance to strike out. When one accepts the fact that one must select the right bat, see the ball clearly, and make contact then every time in the batter’s box becomes an opportunity to find a hole in which to drive the ball and get a hit. Getting up each day, facing the challenges of life, accepting the swings and misses, the foul balls, and being robbed by an infielder with incredible range are all aspects of the game. Life is never filled with constant hits. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows the best hitters only get a hit about a third of a time, and one can become a millionaire hitting a quarter of the time. So, my friends out there in the blogosphere who are about to make their fantasy selections remember the players you pick will not have slumps they just won’t be hitting every day. Now, getting back to my personal situation, despite receiving zero comments most days I continue to post a new step on this blog every day. It is only a matter of selecting the right topic, clearly identifying the cares and concerns of my audience, and making the connection that will instill each reader to return again and again. Then, I will truly be hitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment