Saturday, March 6, 2010

Time to Reflect: Step 19


Before I started to write my reflections for this week I received an email from my sister. She said she thought of me when she went to one of her Facebook friend’s website. So, naturally I had to check it out. A blend of art and poetry from an environmentalist perspective, I wish to thank stewARTship studios at www.gianettaellis.com for providing me with the quote I have chosen to reflect upon this week. Henry Ward Beecher said, “Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.” Nothing is truer of the tens of thousands of us who have found our daily routines disrupted by the loss of our service. It can feel like you have been kicked to the curb, and the paint bucket that was your soul is spilling out over the street. Sometimes struggling to stay in touch with my own soul is difficult. My self-image is strongly tied to the vigorous energy poured into work pursued over numerous years. Many pictures were literally and figuratively painted in the classrooms where my soul reached out to touch the lives of my students. This week my former employer, Los Angeles Unified School District, approved a measure allowing for the dismissal of up to another 5,200 teachers and staff. At the same time I realize bitterness and resentment are not pigments needed to improve this grim picture. Rather than looking upon the change of circumstances as a loss, it must be seen as an opportunity to dip the brush deeper into the soul and paint a more brilliant, hopeful picture. Certainly, not everyone envisions herself an artist. Yet, everyday people find themselves engaged in the art of being a thoughtful friend, a supportive parent, a respectful neighbor, a loyal fan, an honest critic, and a worthwhile contributor to the fabric of our society. When we take out a brush to create images few of us have the skill to paint faithful representations of what we actually see. If I had to rely on a paintbrush to express my soul the best I could hope for is someone would appreciate my interpretation of how my house should look. For those of you trying to get a handle on this at a literal level I covered the steel gray exterior with sunshine yellow two years ago. My soul exists in the words I write. For a number of years I resisted the idea of writing a blog. To me the idea seemed like relinquishing a portion of my soul without receiving anything in return. Perhaps, it is. As of this writing no money has been spent in the preparation of this transcript, nor has any compensation been received. Work is involved. Sometimes, some research, as described above. Sometimes, some thought and analysis. Sometimes, some editing. But always, always my soul. I hope you enjoy my picture. It’s from my soul. As usual, your comments, thoughts and reflections are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment