Friday, June 4, 2010

Pink Permits People to Practice: Step 109


For those readers who follow this blog on a regular basis it would be redundant for me to state how important attaining a driver’s license is to most teenagers. However, for those who are reading this blog for the first time, or only occasionally check to see what is going on let me reiterate my contention that few events have the impact upon a teenager, especially the male of the species, as getting a driver’s license.

Even with driver’s education classes readily available at high schools throughout Wisconsin when I attended, a person still had to pass tests given by state officials at centers the department of motor vehicles placed in various neighborhoods. Prior to getting behind the wheel of a vehicle and learning to drive on the road the individual had to pass a written test showing a clear understanding of the rules of the road. At the time a person had to reach the age of sixteen to take the written test. I don’t know what changes in the law have taken place in Wisconsin, but during the course of the past decade my daughters were able to take their written test in California at the age of 15 years and 6 months.

During the six and a half weeks from New Years Day until my sixteenth birthday there was nothing else on my mind but what was in the driver’s education manual. Every waking minute was spent going over the various road signs, what to do when approaching an intersection, the correct procedure for switching lanes, and steps to take when pulling out into traffic.

Just about everyone I knew had convinced his father or mother to take him on his birthday to the testing station on Villard Avenue. Out of the nearly one hundred questions on the test a person could get no more than eight incorrect answers. I guess the state has a higher bar when it comes to licensing people to drive than when issuing a diploma for completing high school or college where 90 % usually earns a B or an A grade.

Two weeks into the new year M took his written test. Although he may have struggled getting ready he was the first among us to have the thin pink piece of paper that allowed a person to drive a vehicle on the streets. Actually, as a learner a person needed to be accompanied by a licensed driver over the age of 25, which usually meant a parent.

Since Jeff M was a full day older than Jeff P and myself we anxiously awaited the result of his written test that Wednesday. As soon as he was home he phoned Jeff P, who then phone me with the result. I think we both were half hoping he would fail and take some of the pressure off us. It didn’t happen. Jeff M had his pink sheet.

After school on Thursday, we went straight to the testing station. We each sat at one of the desks filling in the multiple choice exam making sure to answer the ones we were sure of first, and fill in any we were guessing at later. Jeff P finished first and was having his graded while I filled in my last answer.

Then, I stood in line and waited for one of the test administrators to correct my test. Jeff said nothing to me as he walked over and sat by my father. It took forever for the administrator to carefully go through all my answers and mark the three I had incorrect. With a smile extending from earlobe to earlobe I took my test back to where Jeff was sitting and asked him how he had done. Jeff had a perfect score, no wrong. Normally such news would have taken the wind completely out of my sails, but that day it only irked me a little as we both stood in line to get our pink permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment