Saturday, June 5, 2010

Time to Reflect: Step 110


Over the course of the past week I have been able to take a look at where I am from the perspective of two coasts. While on the east coast in the dynamic city of New York I sat in the Avery Fisher concert hall and listened and watched as my daughter Heather went through the hooding ceremony. Her brother-in-law, Matthew, himself a lawyer the past three years, had the honor and privilege of placing the hood over her and conferring the title of attorney upon her. My vantage point sitting some twenty-five rows back from the stage with my wife, two daughters and mother made the moment no less spectacular.

A day earlier my son-in-law the aforementioned Matthew, his lovely wife Beth my eldest, and I walked through the galleries of the Museum of Modern Art. From the impressionism of Monet and Van Gogh to the cubism of Picasso and minimalism of Mondrian the beauty and vitality of these artists captivated and enthralled me. In the words of the equally brilliant painter, Henri Matisse, “There are always flowers for those who want to see them.”

After a wonderful celebratory dinner at Carmine’s a delightful family-style Italian restaurant on the upper west side we wandered through part of Central Park Sunday evening and wandered even further on Monday. Our flight home on Tuesday was arduous with delays and gate changes, but despite the thorns the rose of Southern California was in full bloom upon our arrival on the west coast.

Aware of my inability to complete the necessary components of my business plan for my meeting on Wednesday I rescheduled for early next week. Before Courtney returned to Arizona to start her summer class and Heather buried her head in books studying for the bar exam in her corner bedroom, I decided it was best to spend one final night with my daughters. We watched critics review summer movies while we dined on spinach ravioli I heated up. Then, the two sisters went to see the latest edition of the once popular television series despite what the critics said. Naturally, they were able to find the flowers the stuffed shirts couldn’t.

In order for me to be successful as a blogger it is important to complete a sufficient amount of research and figure out what attracts and maintains an audience in the blogosphere. One concept of which I am keenly aware is the idea that readers of blogs like to be engaged in a conversation. Most often the reader responding to the blogger with a comment and the blogger responding to the response does this. When there is a hot topic like the current oil spill in the gulf the sense of immediacy and desire to respond seems high. My challenge is to make the tale I tell although taken from my past so engaging it is like a seed planted in the present that compels readers to comment into the future and start putting petals on the flower with their responses.

No comments:

Post a Comment