Friday, June 18, 2010

Remembering Elkhart Lake: Step 123


It may have been spring break or just a weekend late in spring, but either way it is one of the more memorable moments in my life. Everyone attending met at the Bnai Brith Youth Organization district office. Harry, the executive director of the organization and one of the few adults who preferred kids or young adults as he referred to them call him by his first name, checked to make sure everyone who signed up for the leadership development conference boarded the bus to Elkhart Lake.

As candidates to succeed Steve P as president of Witt AZA, M and I knew this would be our time to learn how the organization actually functioned. Steve P had been elected the president of the district council, or leader of the leaders so to speak.

When we arrived we went to our assigned cabins, unpacked our suitcases and backpacks, and headed to the main hall. Harry welcomed us and gave a brief rundown of the agenda and what he called his expectations rather than rules. Then, he turned it over to Rob, the outgoing council president, who ran the session.

Introductions took up most of the remainder of the first day, but we broke into groups to do one problem solving exercise before dinner. During a break in the action Paul, who had moved to the eastside but was still a loyal member of King David AZA, brought me some cherry tobacco that he stuffed into the bowl of my pipe and patted down with a special metal tool. I know, sixteen year olds smoking pipes, how bizarre. But then we tend to follow our role models, and Harry smoked a pipe, and so did Hef.

Now strange as this may seem it had its desired affect. While I have no idea what the problem we were working on was, as I took the pipe out of my mouth to talk Donna grabbed it from me and started smoking it. She had been Jeff M’s girlfriend a few months back and was a good friend of Rina, who I had taken to last year’s sweetheart dance. One thing was for sure, I was no match for her advances as she giggled and placed the pipe back in my mouth.

Most of the exercises in the sessions at Elkhart Lake were my first exposure to organizational skills and concepts that would serve me well throughout my life, but they have since faded into the blur of seminars with similar topics. However, the relationship I developed with Donna would have an even greater impact, because not only is it a wonderful memory but also because she was truly my first girlfriend.

It started small with us first sharing stories about some of the guys in Witt, and her telling tales of girls in Leo N. Levi BBG. Then, we compared notes on our respective high schools. She went to Washington. Finally, when we got around to discussing families it turned out her maternal grandfather was my maternal grandfather’s cousin, which probably means our great-grandparents were brothers. It didn’t qualify for incest, but we wouldn’t have let it stop us anyway.

As night fell and we found ourselves alone on a bench there are two things I remember distinctly. First, how totally at ease I was with my arm around her and hers around me, and second how good she smelled. As we kissed for the first time I was stunned and excited when she pushed her tongue into my mouth.

The sensation took the meaning of intimacy to a whole new level for me and I was sorry later when I shared it with the guys in my cabin, especially the two Jeffs. Jeff M seemed dejected when he said she had never kissed him that way, and Jeff P interpreted it to mean she wanted my body. Whatever it meant it would continue once we returned to Milwaukee.

Tell us about meeting your first girlfriend or boyfriend in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment